This is just a log of what I had to do for Audrey (from uBid) to get updated. I have a home network and used the USB/Ethernet adapter to get this done. Having played with it for a few days before I got my USB connector, there was a bunch of info in the datebook as well as my dial-up ISP settings.
Once I got the USB connector (3com 3C19250 - Bought from www.helloweb.com - $30 + $14 for 3 day S&H - not a plug, just FYI), I attempted all different sorts of methods in getting the Audrey to update over my broadband ... none of them worked. Finally, I got the update to work and here is how I did it step by step.
* CREDIT * The information here was gathered from the I-Appliance BBS on linux-hacker - thanks to all that contributed.
* NOTE * To do this, all settings in the Audrey will be destroyed - this includes mail, web sites, date entries * NOTE *
The software rev at this point is 1.00.17.01
(1) In the Action Palette, select "Password"
(2) Set the password to something, say "foo"
(3) Once the password is set, put Audrey to sleep by hitting the Sleep button
(4) Wake Audrey up, and type the *WRONG* password in three times.
(5) Let Audrey reset herself
(6) Configure Audrey with the proper information for your home LAN, but make the primary and secondary DNS servers:
(Yes, they are both the same)
(SPECIAL thanks to madmax for setting this up)
(7) Allow Audrey to go out and get the correct time (should be just after she starts up)
(8) Click the "Datebook" button and verify the current time
(9) Go into the "Download Options" section of the Actions palette and set the first time to the current time plus 5 minutes (make sure you set AM/PM correctly)
(10) Hit "done" and then press the Sleep button.
(11) Between 5 and 7 minutes from then, the "Activity" light on the USB connector should start flashing occassionally (coming on for about 5 seconds, then going off for a few, coming on for a few seconds, etc, etc). About 90 seconds after that, the screen will light up and a box stating that Audrey's software is being updated. (9 files in update)
After the update, I had software revision 1.02.04.01 RC24 2/5/2001
(12) Press and hold for a few seconds the Mail, Action, and Browser buttons (here-to-fore known as the "Three Finger Salute", TFS)
(13) A yellow box comes up saying "Checking for software update"
(14) Audrey updates herself with 7 files.
(15) She reboots herself.
After this update, I am running software version 1.02.08.00 RC26 3/29/2001
(17) A yellow box comes up saying "Checking for software update"
(18) Audrey updates herself (fairly quickly)
After this update, I am running software version 1.02.08.01 FINAL 4/23/2001
(20) A yellow box comes up saying "Checking for software update"
(21) Audrey updates herself with 3 files.
After this update, I am running software version 1.02.08.01 FINAL 4/23/2001 + SHELL (I think)
(23) A yellow box comes up saying "Checking for software update"
(24) A yellow box comes up saying "Software is up to date"
(25) Update the DNS/network info to point to the right servers and restart Audrey.