I took another one apart. Two out of six non-working Audreys are now naked. Upon undressing Audrey 2, bits of plastic parts started falling out. The two mounts that hold the tube shape thing that the speaker wires wrap around were broken to bits. Apparently, Audrey 2 was dropped on her head at some point. Continuing my inspection (as I posted earlier, I don't know what I'm looking for...but now she's naked, I gotta look!) I find every single one of the pins in the cf socket bent in all directions. Audrey 2 seems to have been really abused. Could it be this simple. Back to Audrey 1 to check the cf pins. Darn, all standing straight. The pins in Audreys 3-6 are also straight. :(
For now, back to Audrey 2... with tools in hand, and a magnifying glass, I painstakingly straightened each pin. Before getting her dressed, I decided to try and flash her. So I started to unbutton my...opps sorry, wrong story! ;)
I put the cf card in, very carefully, held the two buttons down, (wasn't easy mind you, all parts are loose, and those words printed right on the circuit board "Danger High Voltage"), and plugged her in. Success! Audrey 2 is alive!
So now I'm down to 5 non working Audreys...time to undress the next one...
In the meantime, I'm still open to suggestions as to what to look for while she's naked!