It's not too difficult to take the Audrey completely apart. As far as I remember, the only problem I ran into was with removing the display. There's an adhesive foam "gasket" between the display and the front of the case. When I removed the display, most of the gasket remained on the case. I was unable to prevent it from tearing. After doing it once, however, I think a little more care may have prevented the tearing.
I left the gasket on the front of the case and very carefully masked it (using aluminum foil, which does stick (much too well) to the gasket).
I used Pactra spray paint for lexan RC car bodies to paint mine (it happens to be what I had around). If I paint another one, I'll probably end up using plain old spray paint.
You can see a (bad) picture of my painted Audrey at: