I too purchased an Audrey from someone off eBay. And I too was getting seriously frustrated with the updating situation.
Here's how I finally got it to work:
1. I set my router (NOT the Audrey) to the 'spoofed' DNS settings.
2. I set my Audrey to the DNS for the router (in my case, and probably yours, it is the router's address... 192.168.0.1 and 184.108.40.206 for secondary).
3. I set manual update times for every 30 minutes starting at 2:00 a.m. (figured there might be a little less traffic then).
4. I walked away and let Audrey do her thing. I think the most frustrating part is waiting for something to happen. Don't sweat it!
I left mine until I woke up at 5:30 that morning... and lo and behold, the first update had happened! The others were all easy and took a total of perhaps 20 minutes.
Just follow the instructions given here (or at http://www.audreyhacking.com ) and remember to set your clock each time you unplug/replug the power.
Let me know if this works for you.