I bought a CAIS (internet company) branded 3com 3c406 USB etherenet adapter. Yes it is a 3c406 not a 3c406B which is a different critter and will not work with our little Audrey. Here is the problem, right out of the box the thing would flash it's green link light and then it's amber traffic ligt and then back the other way. The instructions with it said this was normal until it is configured. The device was recognized on the USB port so it wasn't DOA. My first question is if that flashing behavior is normal for these KAWASAKI devices? Anyway I tried using the Win98 driver for it but the device didn't connect to the network but I decided to try and see what qtools thought about this device. I installed the driver added my vid and pid and ran macparse. It saw the USB ethernet controller fine and read the eprom. Here is where thigs start going wrong, after I make the pid/vid cahnges for the 3com codes I try to write the eprom and the software hangs it doesn't seem to be able to write the changes. What I suspect is the code as shipped in this adapter is bad and that if I had the bin file from a working 3c406 I could flash the eprom and get this thing working. So the second question is does anyone have a good bin image they could send me so I could try this. I appreciated any suggestions. The third question would be does anyone know if there is a setting to turn off the eprom programability (is that a real word :) ) ?
I had this same problem, I used the technique described in the post (872) below and it worked great. I used the linksys.bin file he has on his site. You still need to use the qtprog.inf file to setup your device, but don't use the MacParse program, use the qtexercz program as described. The instructions are on:
Also, make sure that the device is loading into windows. If you open the device manager window you should see it show up under USB devices. Mine had a bad flashing that screwed up the VID and PID and windows was not loading the device. I finally found the new VID and PID listed in an error report that was to be sent to Microsoft as a device to look for a driver for. I changed the qtprog.inf file to the new VID and PID, then plugged in the device and loaded the driver again so the qtexecz program could find it.
i-opener opener laptop notebook computer help
drivers dll free windows dos repair fix linux mac macintosh 2000 95 98 nt pc
configure hardware software sound video netscape explorer network networking
lan wan software cmos fat bios printer card mouse modem ide scsi cd rom
controllers scanner tape hard drive cgi scripts source code mp3