If someone wants to help, here's what would be appreciated. IF you have a static IP and a DNS server (I'm sure someone else does).
Set your DNS up to be authoritative for 3com.com and marimba.net and point those two names to my IP (mentioned earlier in thread).
Then, post here so people can use your DNS instead of my broken one :)
How to set up a Castanet transmitter on Linux -
First you need release.tar.gz -- if you got this when I first posted, you're in good shape. You'll have a transmitter and Channel Copier running. Now, you need to run 'tuner' as root so it can bind port 80 (I'll work around this later).
Next you need 'TransmitterAdministrator.car', which was on the FTP site. If someone has a FTP where I can dump this stuff, just send me email, and I'll upload it.
Use channelcopier to put TransmitterAdministrator on your own server, then go to 'Browse' and install it. You need that to create the folders, and having folders helps for being like 3com.
If you used the channel copier against the 3com site, or if you have the .car files somewhere, you can (one by one!) copy them with Channel Copier into your transmitter.
Set up your DNS to point the two machine names for 3com updates to your own machines, and start updating -- you are now as good as 3com's site (fairly simple..) ignore the error messages that get spit out about marimba.tuner.name not found -- it looks like a bug in the subscription service that 3Com provides.
So, going beyond that, you'll need to create a package. It's easier if you see how the packages are put together first -- the packages (.car files) are just zip files (as described in an earlier post). You'll want to get my 'mrbrename' which takes the index.mrb from the root directory and renames the files to their original names -- makes it much easier to see whats going on. You then delete all the urn$* files, and look through what you have left.
With the Final release, the Audrey will request two files - sub_1_02_08_01 and ch2dir_1_02_08_1
ch2dir is easiest, you have two files, one is properties.txt and the other is ch2dir(something). Edit properties.txt to change the channel name information. Edit the other file to reference your newly created channels -- any example will show you what you need --
it's basically (from memory) a few lines of similar to.
Just change those to be your own packages.
the sub_1_02_08_01 is a little more involved. Still just take an example, modify plugin\groups.txt to point to your own packages. Make sure you have a number of linefeeds between the URL line and the first line of your packages.
It *looks* like you need a seperate package for each main subdirectory -- I tried doing everything relative to the root directory and it didn't work. So, take any of the kojak.car files, extract it, and use their properties.txt as a template, modifying the name. You'll need to create a small portion of the treee... For example:
I want nto.car to have bin/ftp
So, in my target directory, I make a subdirectory bin...
I have audrey_packages/1.02.08.03/nto/bin/ftp
and put properties in audrey_packages/1.02.08.03/nto
(anything up to *and including* the nto is changeable -- using nto is convenient though.
Now, you'll have a set of a few directories (for the Sowbug-style hack it's three).. Not hard, just inconvenint, eh..
So, now in channel copier, select each directory (choose the FOLDER icon) where you have a properties.txt file (ie, sub/, ch2dir/, nto/, kojak/, data/) in turn. Point to your server, and locate it where in the hierarchy you want it. I found that on the Linux version, it would grey out the ADD if there wasn't already a file of the same name there... so select anything to get it to let you 'Add'.
Now, go to 'Edit' for each of the ones you had to kludge, and make sure they point to the correct place!
The easy part -- <select all><copy>
Now, you'll have the complete set of channels on your transmitter. You can check by doing a copy back to .car files (transmitter on the left, file icon on the right), unzip and break it apart with the mrbrename tool.