I posted elsewhere, but it appears that PPP/DHCP settings take precedence over manually specified DNS settings. That means you need a static address, or control of the DNS settings specified by the remote dialup RAS server.
My guess is that since root marimba.net nameserver comes back as dead, it then queries the manual DNS settings and works. However, since 3com.com is very much alive, you just get a 404 when the DNS fails after talking to the root 3com.com server.
I tried dialup just before switching to my USB-Ethernet adapter, it still didn't work, hooked up the USB-Ethernet and used a static IP/DNS and it worked just fine (this was only for the last update to Shell, which pulls from marimba.3com.com. All updates before worked just fine, as they're from 3com.marimba.net).
Ok, and thirdly, I've got a DNS spoof up, as well as a Marimba server. When my Marimba server is online, you'll be getting updates from a T3 (I've limited to only a T2 speed so none of our ISP customers complain). When my Marimba server goes offline, I'll update my DNS to point back to pull from 220.127.116.11 (which is what the DNS spoof 18.104.22.168 points at).
Right now I only have the Marimba working on my Win2K workstation, but eventually I'll have it up on a permanent RH Linux server. Also, instead of getting a "Test page" when you tried to use my DNS spoof and hit my server, you'll get a "Castanet 22.214.171.124 Transmitter" page which lists all the updates. If you get the old "Test page" it means my Marimba server is down, and I'm directing folks to 126.96.36.199.
Ok, I almost forgot to put it in my post. My new DNS spoof is 188.8.131.52 ( http://artoo.net/ ).
jroysdon AT hotmail DOT com