|I am successfully running DSL linux on a CPU upgraded IA-1 (AMD K6-III+ 400Mhz). I'm running it on a 2.2G microdrive ($99 at Fry's). I installed it from CD by using a CF to IDE adapter in my desktop, making sure that the microdrive wound up being /dev/hdc. It installed fine and I was able to boot it up just fine in my IA-1. I then installed the myDSL gcc extension, then downloaded kernel 2.4.31, configured it specifically for the IA-1, made sure I turned on the options for msr and mtrr for the K6-III+ chip, compiled and installed it. When it booted up I was severely impressed with the speed improvement from the new kernel. Then I installed the k6mult program and adjusted the multiplier to 6.0. |
I bought a DLINK Ethernet to USB device (DSB-H3ETX) at Microcenter ($25) which also has 3 USB ports in it and can be either bus powered or wall powered which is nice so I don't have to worry about the IA-1 not having enough power to run everything. It also uses the Pegasus chip so supported just fine in Linux.
All in all, I now have a very nice, small, browsing station.