I thought you folks would like another success story...
Got an ePods unit with a Rev. 1.1 motherboard. I found the exact same Crucial DIMMs that Glitch found, at about the same time, and I ordered two (just in case I had really bad luck desoldering).
I noticed that there seemed to be two different chip capacitor types for the memory: for each memory chip, there were four of one kind (probably the 0.1 uf ones), and one of a different color. So I didn't use the ones of a different color. I used two soldering irons instead of soldering tweezers to remove the capacitors. To remove the memory chips, I have, from some years ago, a desoldering tip for one of my irons that could cover all the pins of a 16-pin DIP IC at once -- this tip would cover about 22 of the 27 pins on one side of a memory chip. So I desoldered one side of the chip at a time, with _very_ gentle leverage under the chip to lift the leads from the pads using the flexibility of the leads on the other side of the chip. Then I desoldered the other side of the chip. The good part about desoldering is that the leads are already tinned for resoldering onto the ePods board.
The white-knuckle step: I soldered the memory to the ePods board using a fine-tipped soldering iron -- the tip was just barely small enough. I used a cheap head-mounted binocular magnifier (basically a pair of head mounted magnifying glasses) that gave just about enough magnification with no depth of field. I checked the soldering using a 8X loupe (my camera equipment does come in handy).
Attaching the capacitors was harder, because they are so small, and even holding one with tweezers it kept dancing around. I only installed the capacitors for the new memory chips -- there are a few unpopulated capacitor pads for the original memory that I didn't add chips to. Doint it this way there should be just enough components on one DIMM for two full 32KB upgrades.
Finallly the resistor: I found 100K ohm SMC resistors at a local electronic parts store; what I didn't know was that there are more than one size of resistor -- the ones I got were slightly too large. Oh boy! With some swearing and soldering and persistence, I managed to fit the resistor into the space available, and get both ends soldered, but I don't want to do that again... if I convert any other 1.1 boards, I will order the proper size resistors (from Digikey or Mouser or somewhere...)
While I was at it, I added the DOC hack: a pair of wires on pins 22 and 32, run out to a 2-pin header in the battery comaprtment, just in case I screw up the software really well.
The moment of truth -- power up, calibrate the touch screen (that in itself was good to see), and now System Properties reports "Memory: 32200 KB RAM".
In truth, I haven't used the system much in the last two days, but I plan on applying the 2.04 SW hack, and loading up a bunch of stuff (on a 64MB CF card). I may end up using it at work; for the applications that only work on my desktop machine, I may try pcAnywhere...