Here's how I got my IA-1 up and running with Jailbait and the
I started with the modified Jailbait image from FBM:
Used a pcmcia-to-CF adapter and another Linux laptop to dd the
image to the CF card.
My LinkSys USB100TX card uses the PegasusII chip, so I downloaded
the updated pegasus.o module from a URL found on this forum. It
recognized and loaded the adapter, but I could only ping the USB
interface's IP address. It could not detect the network cable; no
traffic was passing, and no link light on the hub.
After confirming that the adapter was not faulty (comes up perfectly
in Mandrake 8.1) I decided to bite the bullet and compile kernel
2.4.16 with its vastly newer pegasus.o module. After some lilo
trickery I was able to swap the kernel in the Jailbait image with my
new one, and the LinkSys USB adapter started working. (Link light on
hub, still no lights on the unit itself)
I then used dd to migrate my working Jailbait w/2.4.16 kernel to the
internal CF card, and edited the necessary files in /etc to cause
it to mount from /dev/hda instead of /dev/hdc, then did some more
lilo trickery, and all is well.
I had some hard reboots when starting X -query for certain remote X
desktops. I think it may have been due to the 8 bit default color
depth in XF86Config, because it stopped when I changed to using 16
bit color by default.
I know some people have reported success with the other pegasus.o
module on the PegasusII chips, but it definatelly did not work for
mine. The version on my LinkSys unit is "B1". If you have this version
you might end up having to upgrade your kernel to get it to work.