Hi Guys and Gals,
I've read pretty much everything I can over the last week or so about my IA-1 but I'm having some probs getting Win98 up and running and I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. Heres what I've tried so far:
1) Got bootable MicroDrive working with a copy of win98 Second Edition
2) When I run setup it gets right through to detecting hardware (step 5) and blue screens
3) Reboot, and it goes into windows fine, but with no hardware.
4) Detect hardware shows a million items and after a few reboots I can get in to a working system
I get one boot with all the correct stuff installed, but on the next boot it hangs on the Win98 startup screen, forever (i.e. I've left it overnight)
I've also tried a setup /p d (read about this on here somewhere) with the following results:
1) While detecting hardware it says incorrect parameter passed to hardware detection api (or something like that).
2) Installation carries on fine and boots into windows (without much hardware in the device manager)
3) If I detect hardware it does the same thing as number 4 above.
I've tried booting to bootlog.txt and it stops on VPOWERD.VDX which is linked to the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS entry under system devices.
So, I boot into safe mode, and remove this from the device manager (system section). When I reboot, it all works fine, but lots of hardware is missing (I guess its relying on the ACPI stuff) which is no good as things like USB have gone :( . If I do detect new hardware it repeats step 4 from above and locks up on boot.
Does anyone have any ideas here, do I need to do a windows update after installing (I can get my USB network adapter working, once before I reboot and it all hangs)? Am I installing wrong? Do you have a working version of Win98 with the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS" enabled?
My installation version is Win98 Second Edition Version 4.10.2222 A
Thanks in advance,