Ok, after lots of messages on here, it seems that nobody has found a way to get into the BIOS of the "unhackable" companions.
So, what are the possibilities of copying the BIOS from one to another. I've got one of each. I'm itching to get the other one hacked, but I'm a little short on the hardware knowledge required.
Questions for those who might know:
1. What are the risks (realistically)?
2. If it doesn't work, how toasted will it be?
3. can it be done with linux? /proc/nvram?
4. Has anyone looked at the linux bios project? At least one VIA motherboard is supported.
5. What about pulling the battery for a minute or so?
I know the risks of flashing a bios in GENERAL, but I'm wondering specifically about the likelihood that the two machines have incompatibilities that would make sharing the bios impossible.
I also wonder if one of the compaq laptop flash utilities might help us out.