Thanks bball, i read it, but still no good.
As far as i understand this is a problem with the way lilo is set up (to boot from hdb rather then hdc). since i cant access my cf reader from linux, i attempted loading an array of other boot managers, but no luck there. i also tried hex editing the image file.. no luck either.
Let me as you this:
1. DOS FDISK the CF to create a single DOS partition
2. use ranish partition manager (PART.EXE) to format the partition and mark it as bootable
^^ Do these two realy make a difference, given that you are about to overwrite the cf sector by sector?. if so, here is how things went for me when i tried following your instructions:
fdisk succesfull. then did part -d 2 which reported a fat-12 partition. couldn't figuare out how to format it from ranish, unless by formating you mean changing the settings, which then triggers a format. if so, what exactly did you change?. marking it by pressing b is no problem.
3. renamed ia-linux-16mb.img to ia.img, then use DOLLY.EXE like this: dolly ia.img hd129: (Note: my CF showed as E: on my system)
4. popped the CF into the IA-1, which had been opened and shorted to allow access to the BIOS; in the BIOS, all IDE device options are enabled, and Drive D: was selected as the first drive in the boot order.
5. plugged in the IA-1
6. the full LILO boot: prompt appeared! the default (and only boot image option) is 'hdb'