Well I dug my ia1 out for the first time in a few months planning on doing a quick and easy update to Midori. Unfortunatly the image I tried didn't work and I was left with a useless lump because my only CF reader is on my ME machine and I couldn't make it bootable to recover the ia1 with. (originally when I installed jailbait I used a friends computer to format my CF after two days of trying to format one under ME with no success.)
I tried the diskprobe thing but it won't work under ME.
So I got creative and here's what ended up working for me using a PCMCIA CF reader on a notebook running ME.
1) Format the CF using ME's standard format
2) Use Ranish to delete all partitions on the CF and set the MBR to use their "Boot Loader".
3) Create a new partition on the CF and press B followed by a 1 to make it the partition that gets booted.
4) let ranish format the CF and then exit saving what you did.
5) Following the instructions from the Linux Router Project here (http://pigtail.net/LRP/hd/) get winimage and their boot disk image for creating a bootable CF card http://pigtail.net/LRP/hd/formatcf.imz
6) Use winimage to extract all the files from that image but don't bother making a floppy from it - just put them in a directory along with dolly.exe and whatever image you want to write to the ia1's internal CF.
7) Copy all the files you just put in that directory to your CF card.
There you go! Just go into the ia1 BIOS and set it to boot off D: at the C: prompt do a "dolly FILENAME.img hd129:" and you're done!
I just did it with midori_3.img and my ia1 is working better than ever!
(BTW the thing that finally forced me to upgrade was a new cable modem and router that pump was incompatible with upgrading to midori solved my problem and then some!)