Okay guys this seems to work for at least 3 of us. If I get confirmation from others we can post boil it down for a dummies thread.
1)remove all traces of previous attempts. Delete any driver files from anywhere on you computer (should be smal*.* and libusb*.*)
**Please be carefull with this if you have other files with similar names that are unrelated**
2)Install only libusb filter version 0.1.8.0 found here http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/libusb-win32/libusb-win32-filter-bin-0.1.8.0.exe?download
3)Install Che-Ez Foxz2 driver found here
4)Edit C:\program files\Che-ez! Foxz\driver\smalunhj.inf to add 4 lines (These are for CVS Red 6520):
USB\VID_0DCA&PID_0027.DeviceDesc="CVS Red Foxz2"
5)make sure that you do not have more than one *.inf file with a reference to the new PID or you may mess up you might not install the driver properly.
6)Plug the camera in if not already. If the driver wizard does not start then choose update driver for the camera entry in device manager.
7)choose "Install from specific location"
8)choose "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install."
9)Do not select from the drivers that xp chooses to be compatible. Instead select "have disk".
10) Browse to your new updated driver in directory c:\program files\Che-ez! Foxz\driver\
11) If all is well windows will prompt you to locate libusb0.dll. browse to c:\windows\system32\ and select "retry"
12) Download and install new PV2Tool from here
13) Choose your camera from the list of devices and run "unlock". Your camera is unlocked when the display reads "unlocked".
14) Install and run Irfanview found here:
15) Select twain source as "Ce-ez ????"
16) select batch scanning. Choose the directory and filename to download to. and select "Okay"
*** Here is where I got hung up the first time ***
17) If you don't get a bootloader error message select "start download" and you are done, congrats. otherwise continue
18) If you get an error message about not being able to download in boot loader mode then follow this procedure:
a.unlock with pv2tool
b.unplug usb cable
c.restart the computer
d.plug in usb cable after reboot finished
e.unlock with pv2tool
f.repeat steps 15 & 16 and hopefully you are successful now
That is how it worked for me to my best recollection. If you have success with this method please post for all to know that it works. If enough people have success I will try to simplify the process for a dummies post.