Well, I guess this breaks down into several different Hacks Here:
1. Hacking the Nag Screens to simply Kill their mention of their service. This would still leave you with nothing more than a fancy manual VCR as their service provided you with updates, and the ability to
Choose from up to date realtime listings.
2. Hacking the machine to use a secondary service. Use existing Listing Databases to provide the Tivo with a similar service to the Tivo Listings. This would require someone dedicating servers or space somewhere to serve the data… potential lawsuit from Tivo also, unsure future in this.
3. Hacking an alternate way for other machines to receive the “tivo” Listings Data. Either allowing Others to receive the Actual TIVO updates and Listings data without registering at all. This would be really illegal.. basically stealing their service.
4. Hacking a way for people with multiple machines to share their updates and listings without having each machine call and DL seperately. (Nill point if we had ethernet or highspeed hookups that didn’t tie up the phone)
5. Hackign a way for legitimate users to receive their data/listings over a highspeed connection like DLS/Cable using the Serial Port, Modem Port, or through some addon ethernet option.
Now don’t get me wrong… the mention of illegality is just a note. I’d like to see people work on some of this if only as an intellectual exercise… $5 is the one im particulary interested in and the one I know has been looked at already. Ill move over some of the info into a new thread to try and generate talk on it here where the talking is open and uninhibited
The Real Mccoy