I have an IO on which Jailbait v6 is loaded. I have a D-Link USB ethernet adapter. The two do not talk. By hacking the binary module included with Jailbait, I got it to work. Below are the details.
The pegasus.o driver in Jailbait checks for the correct device codes before it loads. If they are not found, it does not load. This driver will work with the D-Link adapter I have (code 0x2001 0xabc1, reported upon booting Jailbait).
To hack the driver to work with this and possibly other drivers, do the following:
- remount / as 'rw' (use -o)
- make a backup copy of the driver
- edit the pegasus.o driver in binary mode (vi -b pegasus.o)
- find a device code to replace. In vi, you can "type" any character by escaping it with ^V, then type the three digit decimal for the number. Thus, type 0xab with "^v 171". In the binary, the bytes in a word are reversed, so to find 0x2001, search for "^v 001 ^v 032". Device code 0x4002 is in the driver, so if you find 0x2001 0x4002, you've found the right part of the driver to replace.
- replace the device code (0x4002) with yours. "r ^v 0x193", move forward, "r 0x171".
- write the file and exit (:x)
- remount / -o ro
- reboot, cross fingers.
You can replace pegasus.o with the backup if this fails. I get a couple of errors when the driver loads, but everything seems to work.
People could use this thread to tell others what device codes (other than 0xabc1) work with the driver.
Good luck, and happy hacking!