No one expressed adequate interest in producing the daughterboard, so I will procede with offering a few myself. The prototype dual RS232 board is on order, and will be available shortly after testing.
I plan to offer several options for interested parties.
1. The pcb artwork (double sided, plated through holes, no solder mask or silk screen) will be available for homebrewers. Estimated cost: FREE download from web site.
2. The bare board will be available for folks wanting to populate it themsleves. Estimated cost: $15-20 + shipping.
3. The populated board with all soldering completed (sans MAX235 chips) will be available. Estimated cost: $25-30 + shipping.
4. The Plug-and-play board will include a fully populated pcb with all soldering complete, two socketed MAX235 chips in place, and all required cableing including 1 2mm 10 pin C12 ribbon + connectors, and two cabled DB9 connectors for user mounting on the iO case. Estimated cost: $70
5. The smart-guy option includes all items listed above for the Plug-and-Play option, except NO max232 chips. This option is provided for smart guys who order two FREE max235 samples from Maxim Electronics (as previously described), and then plug them into the board. This results in two fully functional serial ports for an estimated total cost of $50.
Since I will be stocking MAX232 chips, I will make them available seperately for interested users, at cost + shipping. Estimated cost: $10 ea. + shipping.
All prices are preliminary, should be very close, and are more likely to be reduced than to increase. I'm in this for the fun, not profit, and will make all options available at very near cost.
The first boards will be available in approximately, 3 weeks. All components will be shipped USPS 2-3 day priority mail, with delivery signature required. This protects all parties.
It will help keep the initial costs low if I can accurately determine the level of interest in advance, allowing larger initial order volumes. The first 25 boards have been spoken for. Interested parties should email me at email@example.com.
All constructive comments are welcomed.