I have followed this thread w/detached interest (hey, thankfully *I* don't have this problem!) and have thought all along ckbone that you have no doubt shot yourself in the foot w/all your upgrades & updates (my philosophy: if it ain't broke I don't try to fix it, at least not anymore...). But you have been SO helpful for SO long that when you suggested this simple test I gave it a try (and amazingly I do have an 1100Kb JPEG file to test with). So here goes:
1. Download the file from my main PC to my IO over my Netgear EA101 USB/Enet. Lickety-split. A second or two is all it took.
2. Open using IE and observe that it is a thing of beauty.
3. Rename it and send it back to my main PC. Again, only a couple seconds to xsfer.
4. Open it from my IO over the network, again using IE. THE IMAGE HAS GLITCHED-OUT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY! I.e. the top inch or so of the image looked fine then it turned to hash. My goodness!
5. Go to my main PC and open it w/Irfan Viewer (slick viewer btw). Same damn thing.
How about that, I've got the problem too. Never noticed it before, never. Recently in fact I have been emailing lots of JPEGs to my family from the IO and they apparently have all worked just fine, but these files are typically less than 200K in size.
So for the purposes I use my IO, email and web access, I have never before noticed this problem, nor am I inclined therefore to get too excited about it, but again ckbone as you have been helpful to ME I will look for future opptys to confirm or deny your attempts to solve this w/Programmer.
My config is very simple: original v1 IO w/stock Netpliance BIOS, Netgear USB as above, 128Mb RAM, the WinChip2 upgraded mp, and of course an HD, running Win98SE installed w/98lite Chubby. Further, I have deliberately done MINIMAL dinking w/updates & upgrades, having gotten this thing to work PERFECTLY (or so I thought until today!) with video-blanking and hd-spindown and network access including remote VNC and IOLED On/Off (thanks Programmer!)etc. etc.:
Trident CyberBlade i7 AGP v6.50.5482-10
VIA Disk Controller VATAPI.VXD v2.0.950.2110
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller drivers are Microsoft 4-23-99 v4.10.2222 automatic settings IRQ15, error detection disabled
Again, since my IO is working *to my satisfaction* I will be reluctant to make any significant changes to it, but will otherwise try to help if I can!