Well, months later, I finally got around to putting together a new kernel and modules for jailbait (2.4.4). This was to solve the random hanging of NFS while using an IO and jailbait as a MP3 player, with the music directories mounted over NFS. I've run it for over 5 hours with no problems.
I did this by using my second IO, which has a hard drive to compile the 2.4.4 kernel using the .config from the Jailbait sourceforge site. There are some new config options since 2.4.0-test1, but this didn't seem to be a problem. The only problems I had were that I had to tell it to build another opl3* sound driver in order to get uart401.o to be built, and I couldn't find an option to get kaweth.o built. After building, I put the new kernel and the modules jailbait uses somewhere accessible on my home network. Oh yeah, forgot this step the first time: rdev the kernel to look at /dev/hdb1 (rdev bzImage /dev/hdb1) or else you'll have to append this to the lilo boot prompt every time. Then in my MP3 player IO, I booted it up, logged in as root and remounted / as rw. I deleted the kernel and modules from the /boot and /boot/modules directory. Then I cd'ed into /tmp (the ram disk) and ftped in the new kernel and modules, and then copied them into the appropriate places in /boot and /boot/modules. I kept the old kaweth.o and ioled.o, but I don't use them. If you have a different name for the kernel, make sure you edit /etc/lilo.conf to have it point to the right kernel name nd then run lilo. I ran lilo even without using a different kernel name, since you can't run lilo enough (unless you screw up your lilo.conf first).
I don't really have any space to put these files up for ftp access, and don't have the time right now to set up one of those free accounts. If anyone wants to host this (about a megabyte), let me know.