After reading the multiple posts and lurking for a few weeks I decided to purchase one off of Ebay. Version 5 of course, but that's fine by me. I have read the posts.
Questions I do have, that are not completely answered through out the bbs.
1. What is the highest speed anyone has gotten a chip to run at in a Version 5. Seem to me that you can get in the 400's with an AMD chip, but I wonder if it's worth it, and how hot that mother is gonna run. And what the recommended fan for something like this, hows the one from badflash? Any pages out there detailing the DIP switch changes I need to make, etc? Voltage? Anyway of getting around soldering??? I read the following article:
2. Sound, of course no yamaha, has anyone gotten this versions sound & built in speakers to run well? From what I understand the V5 BIOS chip from badflash will support sound, but will that relate to windows? I havent seen any real clear indications on my searches that it works great.
3. Is a certain HD needed? Not size wise, but certain make? Anything have problems running with a V5?
4. Things I am sure I need. Mod Kit & new BIOS from badflash, possibly new screws (non torx) anyone have the size on these off hand, USB --> Ethernet Adaptor, and of course any old keyboard to use on the splitter. Am I missing anything? Anything I should get additionally from badflash.com? I'd rather do it all in one order.
5. Has anyone gotten a touch screen working? Is it worth it? Is there any PROS & CONS to installing one and using it with Win98 and an Iopener?
6. Memory, anything special or will some generic type work? Any MAX I should worry about or can I go as high as 128?
7. Any tips on removing the BIOS chip?
8. Additional USB port (From badflash)...how easy is it to install?
9. Software. Any central place for video, sound, etc. drivers? Anything in particular I should be looking for or that I am missing?
10. Any easy options/ideas for CDRom. I was thinking an external USB drive, but who knows.
I know tons of questions, and please don't flame. I plan to put this all up into a tutorial for others, etc. Step by step photos, and stuff. So this should pay off. I know the hype for hacking an iopener is kinda wearing off, but i'd appreciate the help and will do the same for others int he future.