This is posted in the general areas, but I think it is valuable enough to be here, especially since the ASCII upload method made its way here. :)
The following method will from now on be known as David D.'s method for transferring files between the i-opener and Windows. :)
I am not going to take the time right now to go into great detail, but I'll give the gist of it...
I should add that this was with a virgin i-opener with the new (bad) BIOS and a Windows 98 machine.
1) boot the i-opener, login as root, get to the prompt, kill the processes
2) edit /etc/ppp/options, removing lcp commands, require-ns, user nctest@netpliance
(you will probably have to copy the file to a different name, remove the original, edit the copy, and then copy the new version to the original name)
3) create a chat script in the /app directory
put the following in it
OK ATM0 (or OK ATM1L2 if you really want to hear the modem screech)
(as with any of the things I'm describing, some things might not be needed....I'm not going to take the time right now to figure out which ones aren't)
4) connect the i-opener modem to a modem on a windows machine with the i-opener supplied phone cord (any regular phone cord *should* work)
5) on the windows machine, create a new dial-up networking item configured as follows
- name it i-opener (just cool to see this name come up at the end :)
- phone number of "1"
- modem maximum speed of 115200 (don't check only connect at this speed)
- connection tab settings of 8-none-1, don't wait for dial tone before dialing, don't cancel the call if not connected in a certain time limit, don't disconnect if idle for more than a certain time limit
- advanced button settings from the connection tab of use error control, don't require to connect, compress data, use flow control, hardware (RTS/CTS), modulation type standard, extra settings "M0" if you want to turn off the modem volume ("M1L2" if you want to really hear it)
- Type of Dial-Up Server of PPP: Internet, Windows NT Server , Windows 98
- no advanced options checked on the server types tab
- only allow TCP/IP
- in TCP/IP settings, just leave things at the default of letting the server assign and header compression and use of the remote gateway checked
- save the dial-up networking item
6) go to networking in the control panel and go to properties of TCP/IP->Dial-Up Adapter (get this installed if you don't have it)
7) leave the IP address to be obtained automagically, add a gateway of 10.0.0.3
you'll probably have to reboot after doing this
(I'm not even sure if this is necessary, but I messed up something else so I tried setting this....I didn't try to undo it later to see if it is still needed)
8) go back to the i-opener and type this command, but DON'T press enter yet
pppd 10.0.0.3:10.0.0.4 noauth connect 'chat -f /app/nameofchatscriptfromstep3' &
(this is where I messed up....I had the chat script name wrong and I couldn't figure out why it wasn't working :)
9) double-click on the dial-up networking item you created on the Windows machine
10) blank out the username and password
11) disconnect the cable from your ethernet card if you are connected to the net via a cable modem or DSL or through a network of some kind at your location (scripts in /tmp like to run every so often, so I didn't take any chances on mine phoning home! that's the whole reason for this method instead of the ISP method)
12) click "connect" on the dial-up networking item
14) on the i-opener, press enter to run the pppd command from step 8
(you read correctly..no step 13...no need for bad luck :)
15) wait......you should see/hear the modems connect and you'll get carrier detect on the PC modem (if external and visible of course)
16) a window will pop up (if in Windows 98...don't remember this from my dial-up days on 95) saying you've connected to "i-opener"!!! way cool! :)
17) telnet from the Windows box to 10.0.0.3
18) mash the keys on the Windows keyboard until the stupid telnet server on the other end asks you for a terminal type....type in "vt100"
19) at the login, type "root"
20) at the password, type "osiw$6.4" or the appropriate password if yours is different/has been changed
21) do an ls/dir so you can believe your eyes ;)
22) find/run an ftp daemon for Windows (I use WarFTPd.exe, oddly enough from the WarFTP application)
23) setup a user (I just used anonymous) in the ftp daemon and give them access to whichever directories you will need
24) on the i-opener run
type in the appropriate username and password (e.g. "anonymous" and "email@example.com")
25) type "bin" enter
26) cd to the directory containing the flasher and good BIOS
27) get "filename"
(repeat until all files are transferred)
28) do what you're supposed to do with the flasher!
29) Hey! You're done! Stop reading! ;)
Okay, so I got more detailed at the end...oh well. I have to say, it is a mighty nice sight to see Windows connect successfully and then to see i-opener directories showing up in telnet or Windows directories showing up in ftp on the i-opener. :)
If you want to know *why* this works, post on here with your question and include "PiGod" or "David D." in the text. That's the only way I'll find you and I'm not giving out my e-mail address on here. :) I'm sure others can tell you why it works too. I just happened to be the one to find the right steps.
I'll give you my e-mail address if you want to send me a lot of money. ;)