Last cry for help.
The power button on my Webplayer does not operate as I would expect it to. After I added a HD and installed Win98, the only activity the power button is good for is to place the Webplayer into a permanent suspend state.
A review of what happens:
1) With Win98 up and running, I select "Shut Down Windows... Shut down the computer" through the Start menu.
2) Windows goes through the process of shutting down and ends with the message "It is safe to turn off your computer now" (or something like that).
3) I press the power button on the Webplayer. The HD powers down, the screen goes blank. At this point I think the Webplayer is powered off.
4) I press the power button, expecting the Webplayer to power up and start Windows, but it doesn't. It is still displaying the "It is safe..." message.
5) I push the power button again, and again... The same message is there.
5) I pull the power cord, pause, and plug it back in.
6) The Webplayer powers up and Windows starts. Back in business.
No matter how long I hold the power button in, the Webplayer does not actually power off. It only stays in a suspend state. Unplugging the power cord is my only option to power off.
Is there any setting in BIOS or in Win98 that I need to change to make the Webplayer power button work, well, like a power button?
Anything I've read in previous related postings has not worked.