Can anyone find what I am doing wrong here? I can't get the webplayer to recognize the 3.5" hard drive. It's a Western Digital Caviar 1.6 GB drive.
1. I went into the bios and enabled primary IDE, DOS and Win95 options in the bios. Are there any other options that must be enabled?
2. I formatted the 3.5" drive, made the partition primary, and installed win95 on it.
3. I connected a 44 pin cable to the ide pins on the webplayer with the red strip facing towards the back side of the webplayer.
4. I connected the 44pin cable coming from the webplayer to a 44/40 pin adapter (using a gender converter so the 44 pin cable could plug into the 44pin plug on the adapter). The red stripe of the 44 pin cable is lined up with pin 1 on the adapter.
5. I connected a 40 pin 3.5" drive cable to the 40 pin side of the adapter with the red stripe lined up with pin 1.
6. I connected the 3.5" drive with win95 installed to the 40 pin cable (which is connected to the 40/44pin adapter). I have the 3.5" drive plugged into an atx power supply.
When I boot the webplayer up it gives me a dos screen, shows the cpu speed, reads the ram then goes to a screen showing the system config but it says no hard drive on the system config. Then it loads to a screen with a bunch of characters that fill the screen. Then it loads the virgin dial-up screen. It just won't boot the hard drive. I have tried setting the drive to master (single drive), master (dual drive), cable select, and even slave drive (dual) and nothing works. I verified that the drive boots to windows 95 when hooked up to my athlon system. Any ideas? Thanks.