Currently, flow control is disabled. It was one of the many settings I changed. But, it was disabled as the default and I went back to 'disabled' before I found a combo of settings that worked.
For clarity, I will list them all, instead of just the ones I changed.
Flow Control Disable
Flow Ctrl Rx Size Disable
Flow Ctrl Tx Size Disable
Link Status Wakeup Enable
Magic Packet Enable
Media Type 10 Base T
Select Mode Ethernet
Test Mode Mode 0
I would not pretend this is the only combination that works or that it is the fastest. However, it does work reliably with the two LAN adapters mentioned above on the two OS I have. And since the whole idea was to give me access to a cable modem that runs at a piddly 1.1 megabits... Well, it does the job.
Pardon my spelling, also. What I said was a 'Belden' above is actually a Belkin USB/Ethernet adapter. OOPS
The name of the files in the driver set are: Net8511.inf, Net8511.cat and Net8511.sys. The applet used by the Compex and the Belkin to set properties are identical and I have them set to the above settings. If anyone comes up with more reliable or faster settings, let us know, here.