Well, I came back to seeing what I could do with busybox and uClibc.
I discovered that the version that I had made things virtually unusable for ARM processesors. I was using 0.9.16. They just released 0.9.17 on January 25th.
Using that version I was successfully able to build a working busybox with nearly all the options. A little work and I could perhaps build more.
As for bigbrd's comments from earlier: I first built uClibc and busybox without the parameters you recommended. I then performed the objdump -d and there were a number of ldrh instructions. I built with the 2.95.3 toolchain reference on your site.
I didn't try the resulting binary. Installed I recompiled with your flags.
All works beautiful. It is amazing what they've accomplished with uClibc and the extra capacity it gives me.