Found my problem with X being 800x600.. I had misspelled fbdev in the device section.
In 2.4.18-pre3 the vesa fb driver works great.. I have had the WS running for a couple of days using it as an X / Rdesktop Terminal from the DOC.
The TVIA driver is just a modified X server running 3.3.5. I got it configured and thought it was ready to go, but then got a "memory fault" error when trying to run it... Gave up on that. Without source to the X server they have I cant debug much and it doesnt look like they are interested in supporting it either.
The kernel CyberPro 2010 driver should work fine once I figure out the right settings for the TV, and I found that the dot clock default for it was at 39Mhz which is probably what is causing the TV to freak out when I first tried it. The vesa driver (which displays normally) reports a dot clock default of 31Mhz and might try that out.
I would like to try again and tweak the CyberPro 2000 driver source so that the default mode runs a slower dot clock and see if that clears things up.. The fbset utils seem pretty buggy though, so it is confusing to me to get fbset to even run correctly with any driver without spewing FBDEVIO errors. I wish I could just change the resolution from the command line without recompiling / flashing a new kernel on every experimental video parameter change.
I wrote the maintainer of the CyberPro driver for a list of modes that would work with a TV and he just gave me a RTFM.. Unfortunately, none of the resources I find seem to help getting this going correctly.
Who knows.. Maybe Ill try writing a generic kernel module that just sends the commands for underscan directly to the video chip while it is in vesa mode and see what happens. ;)